Thursday, September 10, 2009

My new path?

I started teaching Eng 101 at USI. It's just Wednesday nights. I figured it would be an excuse to get out of the house and talk to adults about something other than kids. It gave us a little extra money, and gives me a really nice resume booster. I've only taught two classes, but so far I really like it.

I've been thinking about adjusting the direction of my career basically since I started it. I like teaching, but I've always felt like it wasn't what I was going to do for 30 years. Eight years was enough I think. At least eight years of sixth-grade language arts is enough. I got my master's in educational leadership because I was really feeling a drive to move toward a curriculum advisor type of position. Then with the twins coming along when they did, I've been given the chance to really step back and think about what I want to do. I still haven't figured it out. I know that's crazy. I'm 30. I should have a plan set in stone by now, but I don't. This experiment with Eng 101 is a chance to dip my toes in the professor pool. Maybe?

It's kind of funny though because my old habits are kicking in. During my first class, I had such an urge to walk around the room and glance at my students' papers to make sure they were staying on task. I caught myself four times peeking out the door as if I was on hallway duty or had to check to make sure no foolishness was going on in the bathroom. It's an adjustment, but in a very welcomed way. I have 4 students who are older than me, and it's funny how even their age can make me feel like I'm under-qualified to be a professor. I'm slightly intimidated really, but I know I can do a good job. We'll see.

1 comment: