Sunday, June 14, 2009

Kicking It Off...






Here it is. My first post. It took me a while to do this mainly because I don't like the word "blog". It just sounds crude to me. But, alas, I just haven't been holding myself accountable enough for writing down the memories I want to preserve for my children, and perhaps this format will keep me motivated.

Brief autobiography: Grew up in Southeast Ohio. Nashport. You know, next to Frazeysburg?...Adamsville?...Dresden? Yes, the basket Dresden. My parents are both teachers at a school for children with moderate to severe disabilities. I have one brother who is nearly seven years younger than me. All-in-all, my family made my childhood pretty darn great. I went to college at Miami University, met my future husband on spring break my senior year, and began teaching 7th grade in inner-city Cincinnati. A few years later, I moved to Indiana to marry Tim and cut out that long distance relationship business. I taught several years across the river in Kentucky - about an hour commute. I even toted my son back and forth with me for two years until, surprise!, we found out we were going to have twins. With the cost of daycare and knowing I did not want to drive three young children around for nearly two hours a day, we reluctantly made the decision that I would stay home with the babies. For many people, this may sound ideal, but I never really saw this in the stars for me. I was very nervous about it. Not because I was worried about being a good enough mom, but on a personal level I was nervous about relying on my husband, companionship, financial crappiness, not liking to do chores, and needing to feel a sense of accomplishment and professional success. But, this past year, I have surprised myself with how much I like being a full time mom. It works quite nicely with my erratic sleeping patterns, my tendancy to overload, my desire to spend time with my children and soak it all in. There is nothing I cherish more than my kids, and I like being there for all the little moments.

Owen is three, almost four. Apparently when you turn four, you are suddenly a much bigger kid who will -zing- like all kids of vegetables, -bzzzz- love to eat strawberries, -pow- clean his room. I'm looking forward to all of these. I think he is charming, witty, smart, handsome, articulate, relatively well-behaved, and decently athletic. I could not ask for a better son. Currently, he is over the moon for any and all things related to space. He knows more about the solar system than I do, claims that he is going to be a scientist in space when he grows up, and plays with rocket ships and "Planet Heroes" incessantly. I think this is very cool except when I have things to do and he follows me around saying, "Mooooo-oommm, do I have to tell you 42 times?! Come. play. now!" Oh, little buddy, I wish I had the play time stamina I did when I was little. But my adult brain seems only to be able to stay in outer space for about a half an hour at a time, once or twice a day. I wish I could turn off the part that is thinking of putting the laundry away or wanting to nap while the babies are asleep. I wish that I never had to say, "Not now," because when we are on the same wave length, pushing the super-fast-hyper-blast button we drew inside of our cardboard box space shuttle, my heart is so filled with love and I am so thankful to be with you.

Blake, well he'll just melt you. His little 8-month-old self is just a solid brick of baby power, hence the nickname Blakerilla. He also goes by Blakey, Blaker, Blaker Bear, Blakeapottimus, and Big Ol' Blake. He is strong, inflexible, and has a tendancy to wollup his mother, twin sister, and baby food with his powerful, excited, baby arm flappy-ness. He also frog kicks his feet when you lift him up to the point that you feel like he may just kick his way out of your grasp. But for all his strength, he just seems to have the kindest heart. When he smiles, you can just sense his loving nature. Now that he has learned to crawl and pull up on things, he follows his sister around, looking for interesting things to bang on. But, oh, the screaming and shouting he is capable of when he is up and can't get down (or has toppled over). It's ear-splitting quite honestly. Every day he seems a little older, a little more capable, and I'm loving watching him.

Finally, Sadie Jane. Or Crazy Jane, Lil' miss Jane, Sweet Jane, Sadie Lady, Chickpea, Little Chickadee, or as Tim calls her, Princy Princess. I get the feeling that as she gets older, she will be my daredevil. Right now, she's a total momma's girl. She cries if I leave the room, scurries onto my lap whenever she has the opportunity, tries to catch my attention even when she's being taken care of by someone else in the room. She's adventurous - she started crawling at seven months and hasn't stopped moving. She tries to stick her face in the water at the pool, grabs things off of shelves from her stroller while shopping, eat anything she can find, and loves to play slightly rough - you know, tossing in the air, turning upside down, tickling, climbing onto Owen. She already thinks she's funny, and she is. She has limitless facial expressions which are enhanced by her two bottom teeth. She laughs at herself when she blows raspberries on my arms when I'm carrying her to bed. She's just too stinkin' cute. *Kiss kiss*

And there. My first post. See now, already I'm glad to at least have that written down. I can't believe they are this old already, and I know it will go by in the blink of an eye. I wish I could just capture it all.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you did this!! Raising your children is so rewarding. Watching my child raise her children and do such a amazing job is beyond words. I am sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome! hope you do a better job then i do:)

    ReplyDelete