Thursday, July 1, 2010

Legacy: Where were you born? What were you told about your birth?

I was born in Athens, Ohio. It was my actual due date, May 6th. My parents were college students at Ohio University, on the swim team, and newlyweds. They lived in a college apartment without much furniture - a crib and maybe some beanbag chairs or something like that.

I know that the day I was born, the nurses were on strike. Because of this, my mom was in labor longer than she should have been. She was so young, without the experience of close girlfriends who would have already filled her in on all the details. Apparently she stayed in bed the whole time instead of walking around like the nurses would have told her to do. She told me about this when I was carrying my first baby, hoping that the advice would come in useful, but I had an epidural and couldn't have walked around if I wanted to.

My grandparents drove across the state to meet me. I hardly had any hair. That's about the extent of what I know. When I was born, it was one of the few times in my life I was punctual, I had already been on a swim team, and the nurses were on strike.



(Alright, so this prompt didn't make me write anything too wonderful, but maybe next time.)

3 comments:

  1. You were born on a Sunday...Grandpa Gard was preaching and announced your birth. Grandma and Grandpa came after church to the hospital. Grandma Liles came the next day and stayed with us for the first week... She made delicious healthy food for me and bought me the cutest dress that I could wear after the delivery. It was so hard for Aunt Ellen to see you. As much as she loved you .... she too wanted a child so badly for long. She met you with a wardrobe of clothes though. See, our family is always there for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have mentioned that when Grandma Liles got there she thought that the strikers were a fruit stand and stopped to buy some fruit. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! See I knew I'd learn some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete