Sunday, June 13, 2010

Little Man Blake


In early May, we were putting the finishing touches on packing for our trip to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Yeah, I heard the babies awake in their cribs, but no one was crying, so I let them stay there while I finished getting ready. I came upstairs for the last time to go wake them up, and who should greet me but Mr. Blake - who had stripped down to a diaper - marching with purpose passed the staircase where I was standing. That boy had climbed out of his crib and opened his bedroom door. He glanced at me, said "Hi," and waved, but he didn't slow down. He turned and walked into the kitchen, opened the dishwasher, pulled out the top shelf and got a cup. I just stood there in shock and watched him. He held the cup up to the fridge and got some water. Took a drink. Got more water. Spilled it. I promise you, he shrugged his shoulders, got a towel off the edge of the counter and wiped it up.



Blake and Sadie are my babies. I don't like when people call their kids babies after they are way passed the baby phase, but honestly, my babies are babies. Toddlers at most. To see him unexpectedly whiz through a complicated series of tasks like that - and to do it with such nonchalance! - well it makes me think I've been mothering blindfolded.



It made me laugh to see him act like such a mini-man. (Although, I know of at least one man who wouldn't have bothered to wipe up his spill. Hee hee) It made me breathe a sigh of relief, like maybe I should start expecting more out of him. Maybe I should expect him to use more words instead of constantly trying to guess what he wants. Maybe I should expect him to follow more directions. Blake can be oblivious to the world around him when he is focused on something that catches his attention, but I think he also has a greater ability to calculate situations than I used to give him credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment